The Twitter Tools plugin for Movable Type enables you to easily and automatically share your MT entries on Twitter. The plugin pushes tweets directly to Twitter immediately when entries are published, avoiding the delays of other services. Future versions of the plugin will add additional Twitter integration features.
Post New Entries to Twitter Within Seconds of Publishing
There are a number of free services out there that will automatically share your entries to your Twitter stream. In most cases, these services work by periodically checking your blog's RSS feed for new entries to post. While this works, it means a time lag or delay before new items get posted to Twitter. The delays get worse and more frequent when these services become popular. TwitterFeed has over 1,000,000 users -- because they have so many RSS feeds to check, it can often be a long time before they get around to yours. The Twitter Tools plugin solves this delay problem by pushing the tweets directly from MT, immediately, when the entry is published.
How it Works
The plugin is pretty simple. After installing the plugin, you authorize MT to auto-tweet when new entries are published. After that, every new entry gets tweeted quickly and directly and automatically.
Other optional features include:
- Add a prefix to tweet (such as "New Post:")
- Automatically add hashtags to a tweets for a blog
- Automatically use Entry tags as hashtags
- URL Shortening using the URL shortener of your choice (including Bit.ly, Awe.sm, Supr, YOURLS, TinyURL, and more). (yes, you can enter your own shortener API key and yes, Bit.ly Pro domains 'just work')
Twitter Tools Pro
With Twitter Tools Pro, you get the following extra features:
- Post to both blog and author Twitter feeds at the same time. This is great for multi-author blogs, or if you want to post to both your person Twitter account and to your blog's Twitter account.
- Optional Filters can be used to only tweet entries with specific Categories or Tags
- Optional customized Tweet text for each entry (the default is the Entry title).
- Option to use your own Twitter App, enabling you to customize the "via" text and link shown in Tweet metadata
- More features are work-in-progress, including importing tweets and more.
Twitter Tools includes one new template tag:
- <mt:EntryTwitterShortURL> - Outputs the short URL created when the entry was tweeted (using the URL shortener of your choice). You can use this template tag to display the short URL to your readers and/or integrate it into Twitter share links or Tweet Buttons -- great for analytics, as your readers use the the same short URL as you do. Note: if the entry was not tweeted by Twitter Tools, this tag will output an empty string. This tag also works on PHP-dynamic templates.
All required modules are included in the download file for Twitter Tools. See installation steps below.
- Download and extract the zip file, then upload the contents of the 'plugins' directory into the 'plugins' directory of your Movable Type installation (often /cgi-bin/mt/plugins/).
- Upload the contents of the 'extlib' directory into the 'extlib' directory of your Movable Type installation (often /cgi-bin/mt/extlib/).
- Upload the contents of the 'mt-static' directory into the 'mt-static' directory used by your Movable Type installation.
- Go to the blog-level plugin settings for Twitter Tools and click the Signin with Twitter button to authorize your blog to post to Twitter.
- Return to the settings once again and click the "Auto-tweet" setting to enable auto-posting to Twitter, and adjust other settings as desired.
- (Optional for Pro) Authors can also connect their MT author profile with a Twitter account by choosing the "Twitter Account" item from the left menu of their user profile. Note that entries will be posted to Twitter only if "auto-tweet" is enabled in blog settings for the plugin.
Get Twitter Tools Pro
Get Twitter Tools
Twitter Tools is free for non-commercial use:
Membership required, please sign-in or register:
As always, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome.
Future versions of Twitter Tools may include other integration features such as importing Tweets into a blog and more. Suggestions are welcome.
Follow @mthacks on Twitter for updates and other MT and Twitter hacks.