Visitor Stats is a plugin for Movable Type 4.0 that displays visitor and page view statistics on your MT Dashboard.
It looks like this:
Visitor Stats also provides a "stats counter" tag (and widget) that you can place on your site to display your stats.
Visitor and View Stats
Visitor Stats tracks two key statistics for your blog:
- Visits - A visit represents a real person who visited your blog. Even if the person views 20 pages of your site, it only counts as one visit (per day).
- Views - Also known as page views, a view represents the viewing of a single web page on your site. If the person views 20 pages, it counts as 20 views. If a person refreshes the same page several times, each time counts a view.
How it Works
Visitor Stats provides 2 template tags:
- <MTVisitorStatsTracker> - Place this tag before the </head> tag in every template where you want to track stats. Only place one of these per template.
- <MTVisitorStatsCounter> - This tag will display the total number of visitors or views for your blog, just like a web stats counter. There is one optional argument:
- type - the type of stats that you want to count, which either be "visit" or "view". The default is "view". Example: <MTVisitorStatsCounter type="visit">
- Template Installer plugin
- Download and extract the zip file, then upload the contents of the 'plugins' directory into the 'plugins' directory of your Movable Type installation (often /cgi-bin/mt/plugins/).
- Login to MT and you should be redirected to an "Upgrade" screen that will update your database automatically.
- For each blog that you want to track, go to Preferences > Plugins and then click on "Visitor Stats" and then click on "Settings". Now click the link labeled "Click here to install the Visitor Stats templates".
- Now go to Design > Templates and insert the <MTVisitorStatsTracker> tag before the </head> tag for all templates that you want to track. Note that if you are using the new MT4 default templates, then you only have to do this in one place: click on "Template Modules" from the right side of the page and open the "Header" template module and insert the <MTVisitorStatsTracker> before the </head> tag and then save the module.
- Now Publish (rebuild) all your files.
- (Optional) Add the <MTVisitorStatsCounter> tag to your templates or use Widget Manger to add the "Visitor Stats" widget to your sidebar.
Get Visitor Stats
Visitor Stats is free to members of MT Hacks.
Downloads: <$MTAjaxRatingVoteCount id="1" type="visitorstatsdownloads"$>
Want More Features? Visitor Stats Pro is Coming Soon!
Visitor Stats Pro will be a premium version of the plugin with more stats and many cool features. While it will include some of the typical web stats metrics, the focus of Visitor Stats Pro will be on providing meaningful stats about Movable Type items such as entries and authors.
Here are some of the potential features:
- Visitor and View stats on a per entry basis, so you can see how popular your entries are.
- Stats on a per author basis. If you have a blog with multiple authors, see which authors are generating the most traffic.
- Template tags and widget to display a list of "Most Read" entries.
- Drill-down into statistics. See a list of recent visitors. See which visitors are registered commenters. View the traffic history for a single visitor or registered commenter, see how they navigate through your site and which pages they viewed.
- View referrer information to see where visitors are coming from (the page they were on prior to arriving on your site).
- Search engines and keywords.
- And more...
Do you have some ideas for features? If so, please reply to this entry and submit those ideas. Suggestions are appreciated.
When Visitor Stats Pro is released, I will send out an email to MT Hacks members. So if you haven't already done so, register now.